Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 17, 2011

An open letter to the literary agents of the world.

To whom it may concern,

My name is Davlin Stewart and without the written word I would not be alive today. What started as a form of therapy has turned into a passion which only burns brighter with each passing day. My book, My time in Hell and other whimsical tales, covers eight years of struggle where I'd turned to writing in order to make sense of the world around me. Just a few of the few topics covered within its pages include relationships, molestation, drugs/alcohol, religion, contracting STDs, a five day stint in a mental hospital, the trials of being an unknown author, performing in open mics, making progress with mental illness and finding a sense of peace despite it all. Since this features almost a decade of work the reader will get to see the growth I've made not only as a person, but a writer as well. The market for this kind of work is massive, because there is something here for everyone.


Since this is a business, let's talk shop. The following are books which are similar to the one I'm offering you today, as well as the number of copies sold:
The perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky-more than 700,000 copies.
Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers-several hundred thousand copies
I hope they serve beer in Hell by Tucker Max- over one million copies worldwide

I understand your reticence with signing an unpublished author. While it's true I've not been featured in any known publications I am not unknown. In a year and a half my blog Scattered Thoughts has generated 5,829 views from all over the world and this is just one of my many outlets. While this may not sound too impressive, keep in mind I've been using only Facebook and self promotion to help get my name out to the masses. Once people find my work, they always come back for more and I guarantee these numbers will grow exponentially if I could only reach a larger market.

I've spent the last two dollars I have in order to buy a cup of coffee for the free wi-fi in order to send this email to you. My heart and soul has been put into this work and all I ask is for you to not take this lightly. If you agree to represent me you will acquire so much more than book; you'll also get an artist with a drive and work ethic the likes of which you have never seen. Snooki and "The Situation" are currently New York Times bestsellers and I'm convinced each of them is illiterate. Don't you think it's time we see what a person with talent and an undying love of the written word can accomplish?

Thank you for getting this far,
Davlin Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment